Saturday, October 16

Day: August 13, 2021

South African ’Facebook rapist’ jailed 223 years
World

South African ’Facebook rapist’ jailed 223 years

The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Gauteng has welcomed the sentencing of “Facebook rapist” Thokozani Jiyane, who was slapped with eight life terms’ imprisonment and an additional 223 years by the high court in Johannesburg for raping 10 women. Jiyane, 23, was found guilty on 17 counts of rape, 10 counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, two counts of kidnapping and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and three counts of fraud, according to SAPS spokesperson Colonel Noxolo Kweza. “Jiyane started his reign of terror in Reigerpark, Boksburg, and became known as the Facebook rapist in December 2019. He lured his victims on Facebook after pretending to be in the filming industry and offering jobs to unsuspecting women. ’’He promised his victims work...
Final year student in court for causing harm to teacher
News

Final year student in court for causing harm to teacher

A final year Visual Arts student of Three Town Senior High School in the Ketu South Municipality has appeared in court for causing harm to a tutor in the school. The accused, Gilbert Akakpo, aged 19, slashed Mr John Kwashi Akey, the ICT tutor with a cutter while he tried to stop the accused from bullying a first year student. Police Chief Inspector, Mr Bob Wuda, prosecuting, told the court that Mr Cephas Afornu, Senior House Master of the School, reported the incident to the Denu District Police station around 1330 hours on Wednesday that the accused earlier in the day slashed the victim with a cutter on his left upper arm. He said the complainant added that the victim sustained a deep cut on the arm and was rushed to Ketu South Municipal Hospital for treatment. Chief Insp...
Rebecca Foundation Builds Crèches For Market Women
News

Rebecca Foundation Builds Crèches For Market Women

First Lady, Mrs Rebecca Akufo-Addo, through The Rebecca Foundation, has introduced the “Market Crèches” project to support market women provide care for their toddlers while at work. The project which is under the Foundation’s ‘Terema Initiative’ also seeks to support women to improve their economic status and general well-being. Through Terema, the Foundation is putting up crèches in several markets in various parts of the country to cater for toddlers and pre-schoolers of traders, while they concentrate on their trading businesses. Currently, four of the crèches are under construction at the Dome and Adenta markets in Accra, Koforidua Zongo Market in the Eastern Region; and the Apremdo Market in the Western Region. It is expected that each crèche will have auxiliary faci...
CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak paired against CI Kamsar of Guinea
Sports

CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak paired against CI Kamsar of Guinea

Ghanaian giants Accra Hearts of Oak will face Guinean side Club Industriel De Kamsar in the preliminary round of the CAF Champions League stage. The Ghanaian league winners makes a comeback into the competition after a long absence with a tricky tie against their African counterparts following a draw held in Cairo, Egypt on Friday. Heart of Oak represents Ghana in the African Interclub competition for the first time since 2015 where they last played the competition. The Phobians will be hoping to replicate their form in the Ghana Premier league when they take on CI Kamsar. The first leg is expected to be played on the weekend of September 10-12 at the Stade de I’Amitie in Kamsar in Guinea, while the return fixture comes on a week later at the Accra Sports Stadium. The w...
Dan Botwe inspects ongoing projects in Oti
News

Dan Botwe inspects ongoing projects in Oti

Mr Daniel Kweku Botwe, Minister of Local Government, Decentralisation and Rural Development has inspected some ongoing regional administrative projects in the Oti Region. The two-day working tour took the Minister to the Regional Agriculture office at Nkwanta South Municipality, Regional Education office at Jasikan in the Buem Constituency and the Regional Health Administrative office at Worawora in the Biakoye District of the Oti Region. Mr Botwe is expected to meet stakeholders and chiefs at Guan District to interact with them on Friday for the yet to be inaugurated district. According to Mr Richard Amanfo, Zonal Consultant of Architectural Engineering Services Limited (AESL) on the projects at Dambai, which was awarded in 2019, it was about 60 per cent complete. On the ...
Chale Wote street art festival goes virtual
Entertainment

Chale Wote street art festival goes virtual

This year's edition of the 'Chale Wote' street art festival will be held virtually, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) has announced. This development according to the AMA has become necessary due to the surge in the COVID-19 cases and in compliance with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo's latest directive of avoiding large gatherings to prevent the spread of the virus. A statement released by Mr. Gilbert Nii Ankrah, Head of Public Affairs at AMA said they had together with the organizers of the festival have lined up activities to broadcast the event on virtual platforms starting from Friday, August 13-22, 2021. "Furthermore, contrary to previous events and its associated large crowd there would be no outdoor activities that require in-person participation during this...
Police investigate alleged assault on a Journalist at Bortianor
News

Police investigate alleged assault on a Journalist at Bortianor

The Police Administration has opened an investigation into the matter of an alleged assault on a journalist at Bortianor a suburb of Accra. The assault according to the Police Administration involve some men believed to be Police personnel over a piece of land. That the said parcel of land located at Bortianor is allegedly being claimed by two parties, one of whom is said to be police personnel. The Police has since commenced public investigation into the case and therefore urging everyone involved to remain calm. Police is also urging anyone who has credible information that could assist in the investigations to contact the nearest Police station or call the following numbers: 18555 or 191 or send a WhatsApp message to the Police number 0206639121.
Hearts of Oak duo invited as CK Akonnor names 30-man squad for 2022 World Cup Qualifiers
Sports

Hearts of Oak duo invited as CK Akonnor names 30-man squad for 2022 World Cup Qualifiers

Head coach of the senior national team the Black Stars of Ghana, CK Akonnor has announced a 30-man squad for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Ethiopia and South Africa next month. Black Stars will begin their 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup qualifiers campaign against Group G opponents Ethiopia and South Africa. The games are expected to come off on Friday, September 3 in Cape Coast before playing South Africa on Monday, September 6, 2021 in Johannesburg.  Coach C K has handed maiden invitation to Hearts of Oak duo Daniel Afriyie Barnieh and Richard Attah and Kelvin Yeboah and Manaf Nurudeen of Sturm Graz and KAS Eupen. Asante Kotoko goalkeepers Razak Abalora and Danlad Ibrahim and Great Olympics Gladson Awako have all been dropped ahead of the games. Below is the 30-m...
Mario Balotelli Cleared of Rape Allegation Involving 16-Year-Old Girl In France
Sports

Mario Balotelli Cleared of Rape Allegation Involving 16-Year-Old Girl In France

Mario Balotelli has been cleared of a rape allegation after a  girl who was 16 at the time, accused the Italian footballer of the offence in France. The incident allegedly occurred in July 2017, when the former Manchester City and Liverpool star was playing for French side Nice. The 31-year-old said that the pair had met when she was on holiday and they had consensual sex, after which she contacted him asking for €100,000 (£84,930). Mario Balotelli reported the attempted extortion attempt to the police, three weeks before his accuser and her lawyer contacted authorities.  However, Italian police in Balotelli's hometown of Brescia have closed the case, deeming that any accusation levelled at the footballer was 'unfounded'.   'Balotelli is satisfied, as this was an unacceptable and insu...
Virgil van Dijk: Liverpool defender signs deal until 2025
Sports

Virgil van Dijk: Liverpool defender signs deal until 2025

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has extended his contract with the club until the summer of 2025. The 30-year-old, who was under contract until 2023, follows Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson in signing new deals with the club this summer. He played just five league games last season, as he suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury in October. Van Dijk, who resumed playing in pre-season, said he was "delighted, very happy and proud" to sign a new deal. "All the hard work we've put in so far continues and I am looking forward to what the future brings together with Liverpool," added the Netherlands centre-back, who has made 130 appearances for Liverpool. "Where I am today, how I feel today, as a very senior, important player for the team and for the club...
https://glimtors.net/pfe/current/tag.min.js?z=4310378