Monday, November 30

Day: July 21, 2020

Government spends US$35million on testing for COVID-19
News

Government spends US$35million on testing for COVID-19

The Government of Ghana has so far spent US$35million on testing 346,990 COVID-19 suspected cases. The amount is not part of the expenditure on the expansion of testing capacity. Dr Bernard Oko Boye, Deputy Minister of Health who represented the Minister of Health, made the revelation when he updated Parliament on Ghana’s COVID-19 situation, in Accra, on Monday.   He said the cost of one Polymerise Chain Reaction (PCR) test on average was U$100 for a suspected case. The PCR tests were used to detect the genetic information of the virus and also gives indication of the person who is infected with disease, Dr Boye added. He said Ghana has done 346,990 tests with a positivity rate of 7.9 per cent. He said the number of tests done per million of a country’s population gives ...
COVID-19: Ghana records more than 1,600 recoveries
News

COVID-19: Ghana records more than 1,600 recoveries

The Ghana Health Service says a total of 1,652 COVID-19 patients been declared recovered or discharged, bringing the total to 24,901. This leaves the country with 3,376 confirmed active cases, with the patients being managed in treatment sites, at isolation centres across the country, and some under home management. Unfortunately, five more patients have succumbed to the virus since the last update, raising the death toll to 153. The latest update by the country's health management body via its designated website also confirmed 763 new cases of infection, increasing the national total case count to 28,430. The update said 25 patients were in severe conditions, with eight being critical condition and four on ventilators. The new infections were recorded in 10 regions, with A...
Freddie Blay holds virtual meeting with all 16 regional chairmen, encourages them to work hard for victory 2020
Politics

Freddie Blay holds virtual meeting with all 16 regional chairmen, encourages them to work hard for victory 2020

The National Chairman of the New Patriotic Party, has held a maiden zoom meeting with the Party’s Regional Chairmen with a call on them to work hard to ensure victory for the party in the December polls. The digital meeting forum afforded the National Chairman the opportunity of receiving firsthand reports from his Regional Chairmen on the ongoing new voters’ registration exercise across the Regions. The Volta Regional Chairman of the Party, Mr. Makafui Kofi Woanya , in giving his account of the measures put in place by his team to ensure vigilance at the boarders, expressed worries about the consistent attempt by the opposition NDC to smuggle non-Ghanaian citizens from neighboring Togo to register. Sighting few examples of how groups being transported in buses by the NDC were de...
My world is shattered, Nollywood actress Rachael Okonkwo cries after losing mother
Entertainment

My world is shattered, Nollywood actress Rachael Okonkwo cries after losing mother

Popular Nollywood actress, Rachael Okonkwo has cried out after losing her mother to the cold hands of death, saying her world is shattered and her life crumbled. The versatile actress took to her Instagram page on Sunday to announce the death of her mother, as friends and well-wishers sympathised with her. In her first post, Rachael said “My life will never remain the same.” In her second post, she lamented: “My world is shattered, my life is crumbled; RIP mama NKOLI. Where do I start from?” Nollywood actress, Chika Ike commiserated with Rachael, saying, “Oh no! Please stay strong sweetie. May her soul RIP.” Another actress, Eve Esin simply said: “Pls stay strong. The Lord is your strength Raaaa.” Also, Linda Osifo said, “OH my God!! I’m so sorry!! Please stay strong!” ...
Metro Mass Transit resumes work in Kumasi
News

Metro Mass Transit resumes work in Kumasi

Metro Mass Transit workers have resumed work after a two weeks sit down strike over unpaid salary arrears. This follows hours of closed-door meetings with the Ashanti Regional Coordinating Council (RCC), the striking workers, the management, and other stakeholders in Kumasi on Thursday. Deputy Managing Director of Metro Mass Transit, Mr Richard Osei Bamfo who also sat through the mediation in an interview with the Ghana News Agency, assured the Council of the payment plan to settle all the workers to ensure the state transport company gets back to its feet. “We have met all the stakeholders including the Regional Minister who chaired the meeting and we have agreed to work together amicably, so we will resume payments as soon as possible” He also hinted that management had roll...
NDC condemns alleged Military invasion of Parliamentary Candidate’s office
Politics

NDC condemns alleged Military invasion of Parliamentary Candidate’s office

The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has condemned alleged Military invasion of Maxxon Supermarket and Filling Station in Teshie without a search warrant from the court. The Party said the building, owned by Mr Ben Ayiku Narh, the Party’s Parliamentary Candidate for Ledzokuku, housed his private office, which was being used by the constituency executives for the on-going voter registration exercise as “collation centre”. Mr Amos Blessing Amorse, the Deputy Greater Accra Regional Youth Organizer of the Party at a News briefing in Accra said, on Sunday July 19, four Military Patrol Team members allegedly stormed the premises claiming they had picked intelligence that the Party had set up a registration centre at the Parliamentary Candidate’s office to register people at night. He...
EC condemns violence at Registration Centres
News

EC condemns violence at Registration Centres

The Electoral Commission (EC) has expressed concern over acts of violence perpetrated by political party supporters at some registration centres. A statement issued by the Commission said the acts, in the form of physical and verbal attacks on EC Officials were obstructing the registration process. It cited the incident at the Step to Christ Voters Registration Centres in the Awutu Senya East Constituency in the Central Region where unidentifiable gunmen reportedly attacked the officials at the Centre and disrupted the process by firing guns. The statement said the acts were condemnable during a civil exercise such as the Registration of Voters and called on security agencies to investigate the issue as, a matter of urgency, and bring the perpetrators to book. “These acts cons...
Board Chairman of Legon Cities FC donate to two orphanages in Accra
Sports

Board Chairman of Legon Cities FC donate to two orphanages in Accra

Mr. Richard Kings the Board Chairman of Lemla Group, owners of Ghana Premier League (GPL) side Legon Cities FC, has donated items worth thousands of cedis to three institutions in Accra. They include two orphanages; the Rising Star and Potters Orphanage at Dodowa and the Accra Psychiatric Hospital in Accra. The gesture was to mark his birthday which was last Friday, July 18. The exercise was under three organisations, Legon Cities FC, Gulf Energy, Lemla Energy, Lemla Veterinary Services, Tomrich Mines and Construction, and Airtech. The items donated to the three institutions included bags of rice, cartons of milo, milk, oil, biscuits, beverages, student mattresses and cash. The Team also organised a party for the children at the two orphanages, one they were very excit...
Asamoah Gyan in a shock move to Wadi Degla in Egypt
Sports

Asamoah Gyan in a shock move to Wadi Degla in Egypt

Ghanaian legendary striker Asamoah Gyan is reportedly closing on a move to a relegation-threatened Egyptian Premier League side Wadi Degla. According to Ghanasoccernet report the 34-year-old striker who is free agent after ending his stint with Indian Super League side NorthEast United is set to join the Egyptian side. The 34-year-old was linked with a move to an unknown Serie A club in the upcoming transfer window but could end up with Wadi Degla for the next season. Asamoah Gyan is considered a living legend for Ghana with 51 international goals. He has played three FIFA World Cup tournaments and seven Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, helping the Black Stars to finish in third place in 2008 and runner-up in 2010 and 2015.
Gareth Bale: Real Madrid star ‘going nowhere’, says agent Jonathan Barnett
Sports

Gareth Bale: Real Madrid star ‘going nowhere’, says agent Jonathan Barnett

Gareth Bale is "going nowhere" despite his increasingly peripheral status at Real Madrid, the Wales forward's agent says. Bale was visibly frustrated as he was left on the bench for most of Real's La Liga title triumph this season. And although other clubs are interested in signing the 31-year-old, his agent Jonathan Barnett says he will not leave on loan or on a permanent transfer. "Gareth is fine. He has two years left on his contract," he told BBC Sport. "He likes living in Madrid and he is going nowhere. "He is still as good as anyone else in the team. It's up to [Real Madrid manager] Zinedine Zidane. "Of course there's been interest but there's hardly a club in the world which can afford him. "It's a great loss that he's not in the Real Madrid team at t...
//luvaihoo.com/afu.php?zoneid=3571539