Friday, October 30

Kim Jong-un calls North Korea’s handling of coronavirus a ‘shining success’

Kim Jong-un has declared his country’s response to the Covid-19 strain as a “shining success”, state media KCNA reported.

North Korea’s leader said on Thursday that the Government had “thoroughly prevented the inroad of the malignant virus and maintained a stable anti-epidemic situation”.

Speaking at a Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) meeting, Kim is reported to have said that the country’s triumph over coronavirus was “achieved by the far-sighted leadership of the Party Central Committee”.

His comments come after North Korea closed its borders, put thousands into isolation and reported that it had no virus cases, although some critics have argued the number of cases is unlikely.

Speaking about its Supreme Leader, at the meeting in Pyongyang, KCNA said: “After analysing in detail the six-month-long national emergency anti-epidemic work, he said we have thoroughly prevented the inroad of the malignant virus and maintained stable anti-epidemic situation despite the worldwide health crisis, which is a shining success achieved by the far-sighted leadership of the Party Central Committee and a high sense of voluntary spirit displayed by all people who move as one on orders of the Party Central Committee.

“He added we should value such success in the anti-epidemic work and continuously consolidate it to fully ensure the security of the state and well-being of the people.”

North Korea has reopened schools but has kept a ban on public gatherings and made it mandatory for people to wear masks in public places as part of its response to coronavirus , a World Health Organisation (WHO) official said on Wednesday.

While it has not confirmed any infections, its Ministry of Public Health has been sharing weekly updates with the WHO on steps it is taking to ward off the pandemic, said Edwin Salvador, the agency’s representative to the reclusive country.

In the latest update provided on June 19, the ministry said all educational institutions are now open, with children required to wear masks and washing stations installed.

The ministry also reported that all of 922 people checked so far have tested negative, while hundreds of others, mostly cargo handlers at seaports and land borders, are regularly quarantined for monitoring, Mr Salvador said.

“Temperature checks using infra-red thermometers, hand washing facilities and sanitisers continue to be in place in all public places including shopping malls, restaurants and hotels,” he said via email.

“It is mandatory for all people to wear masks in public places and no public gatherings are allowed.”

Pyongyang devised a “national preparedness and response plan” in February based on the WHO’s recommendations, under which it appointed community doctors, each of whom is responsible for 130 households, Mr Salvador said.

It also set up 235 “Rapid Response Teams” consisting of an epidemiologist, doctor, nurse, paramedical and a livestock official, tasked with investigating any suspected cases.

The WHO has provided enough supplies to conduct 1,000 tests, as well as 2,900 items of personal protective equipment, he said, adding that healthcare workers were being trained how to deal with the Covid-19 threat.

South Korea’s Unification Ministry, handling inter-Korean affairs, said plans to sent $10 million (£8.07 million pounds) of aid for the North via the U.N. World Food Programme were put on hold after cross-border tensions flared.

Source: eveningstandard.com

//azoaltou.com/afu.php?zoneid=3571539
%d bloggers like this: